We’re Cone. We’re passionate about small businesses and we believe that although it is challenging to build a business, keeping on top of your finances shouldn’t be.
We believe that it isn’t just filing taxes and knowing your debits and credits. It’s about working with ambitious entrepreneurs who need help with the financial side of their business.
Helping them on their journey and building a service that will impact hundreds of entrepreneurs, designers, content creators and other professionals who just want to run their business without all the financial jargon and hassle.
We’re looking for someone who’s excited to work as a team and help small business owners of different backgrounds and experiences to achieve their goals.
As a trainee apprentice, this is day 1 in your accounting career. And don’t worry - you’re not here to make anyone tea and coffee. It’s a full time position - one with flexi working and remote. We are ideally looking for someone within Southampton/Winchester area as you will be required to travel in for co-working sessions, your tuition, team events and team training sessions.
We will give you the gear, team and training to succeed and achieve your goals. All we ask is your dedication and commitment to be the best you can be.
What you’ll do
As an entry level role, most of this may seem a bit alien and unknown. Don’t worry. You’ll receive training and support to be an expert in these responsibilities in no time. A willingness to learn is essential but here’s an overview of some of the day-to-day things you may expect;
- Reconciling client bank accounts
- Coding and allocating client purchases and receipts
- Preparing and drafting VAT returns
- Preparing and drafting Payroll
- Sales invoice reconciliation
- Fixed assets reconciliation
- Working closely with your manager to meet deadlines and deliver a great service
- Minor admin tasks (forwarding scanned post, HMRC authorisations,
- To be a brand ambassador promoting the Cone brand and building your online profile
We Would Love You To Have*
- An interest in technology and business.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Strong client communication skills - email, phone and face to face.
- A good organiser and can manage your time well.
- You are not required to have any experience within the Accounting industry,
but we would love to see that you have had a previous job (full time or part time).
We Need You To Have*
- The willingness to learn and become the best version of yourself.
- A desire and passion for becoming a fully qualified Accountant with purpose.
- Ambitious, self-motivated and holds their work to high standards.
- Comfortable working with others to deliver an amazing service and meet deadlines.
- Comfortably know your way around a computer.
- Right to work within the UK without sponsorship.
*please feel free to apply if you don’t perfectly match the requirements above, these are merely a guide.
Perks & Benefits
- The Cone Workation. One of the perks of working at Cone is that we take an annual workation, where we all go to away together to connect, work, learn and ask ourselves, how can we improve as a company. From ways to add to our client experience to how we can make a positive impact on the environment.
- 22 days + bank holidays. Yes, that’s right, two more than the average amount of holiday days.
- Remote working. Another huge mutual trusting benefit is that you work from home. Although there will be group meetups and collaborative working, your essential equipment will be provided.
- Flexi working. Talking of the working set up, flexible working is available within core working hours (Monday - Thursday 10-4, Friday 9-12)
- 36 hour work week. No 40+ hour work weeks here.
- Access to ‘Perks for Work’. A place where you can get discounts and offers for restaurants and other lifestyle purchases.
- 2 Charity Days. We love it if you support a charity here at Cone and we want to support you with that. So you are given 2 days in which you can work with a charity of your choice.
- Workplace pension. 3% and 5% standard contributions towards your future retirement plans.
- Self-development budget. We want to support you in being the best version of yourself, so you receive a self-development budget.
- Self-development road map. This is where we sit down with you and help you plan towards setting your goals. We also have regular 1-1’s to map progress.
- Social events. (team lunches, evenings out, co-working days)
- Stationery budget. You are also given a budget to spend on the stationery of your choice.
- Career progression. We want to help you move forward in the company as your learning and expertise expands.
- Training progression included. We want to invest in you as you invest in us. There is a training progression plan and training included.
Salary Expectations and Getting Started
Salary for this role is £10,000 per annum paid monthly. Please note this is an entry-level apprentice salary.
The Interview process is a 4 step interview process which will start with a telephone interview.
We cannot wait to hear from you. 😃
Please note that although this is a remote work from home position, you must be able to get to the interviews and if successful, you are required to travel to any Cone related meetups. This will not be reimbursed. As such, we will primarily be looking for the right candidate around the Southampton / Winchester area as training, meet ups and tuition will all be delivered locally. As skills are developed, remote working from further afield would be available.
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.