Trainee Accounts Assistant
Hey, we are Cone, we’re an alternative accountancy firm for creative entrepreneurs.
We are firm believers of a work-life blend. That's the lifestyle we live. And that's the message we instil in our clients and team.
And now, we are looking for an additional Accounts Assistant to join the team.
We’re looking for someone who’s excited to work as a team and help small business owners of different backgrounds and experiences to achieve their goals.
We are looking for a high vibe person, who is currently studying for their AAT qualification.
But having an awesome personality and enthusiasm are very important things too.
We want you to grow with Cone as you progress throughout your career and will continue to offer you a study support package on to ACCA in the future.
Here are some of the things you would be expected to do. You will not be expected to master all of these from the start but improve with practice and training.
- Reconciling client bank accounts and reviewing for irregularities and errors
- Coding and allocating client purchases and receipts
- Preparing VAT returns
- Preparing and drafting Payroll
- Sales invoice reconciliation
- Fixed assets reconciliation
- Learning client management over meetings, phone calls, emails, and video calls
- Assist the client managers in controlling the finance function
- Delivering training to clients for software products such as Xero
- Minor admin tasks (forwarding scanned post, HMRC authorisations, etc.)
- To be a brand ambassador championing the Cone brand with networking within the industry and building an online profile.
We Would Love You To Have*
- An interest in technology and business.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Experience using Xero and/or Receipt Bank.
- Experience using Taxfiler, or other accounts and tax production software
- Strong client communication skills - email, phone and face to face.
- A good organiser and can manage your time well.
- You have ideally had 2-3 years experience in the accounting industry already.
- AAT Level 3 or 4, or just started ACCA
We Need You To Have*
- A year of accounting experience.
- The willingness to learn and become the best version of yourself.
- A desire and passion for becoming a fully qualified Accountant with purpose.
- Ambitious, self-motivated and holds their work to high standards.
- Comfortable working with others to deliver an amazing service and meet deadlines.
- Comfortably know your way around a computer.
- Right to work within the UK without sponsorship.
*please feel free to apply if you don’t perfectly match the requirements above, these are merely a guide.
Perks & Benefits
- The Cone Workation. One of the perks of working at Cone is that we take an annual workation, where we all go to away together to connect, work, learn and ask ourselves, how can we improve as a company. From ways to add to our client experience to how we can make a positive impact on the environment.
- 22 days + bank holidays. Yes, that’s right, two more than the average amount of holiday days.
- Remote working. Another huge mutual trusting benefit is that you work from home. Although there will be group meetups and collaborative working, your essential equipment will be provided.
- Flexi working. Talking of the working set up, flexible working is available within core working hours (Monday - Thursday 10-4, Friday 9-12)
- 36-hour workweek. No 40+ hour work weeks here.
- Access to ‘Perks for Work’. A place where you can get discounts and offers for restaurants and other lifestyle purchases.
- 2 Charity Days. We love it if you support a charity here at Cone and we want to support you with that. So you are given 2 days in which you can work with a charity of your choice.
- Workplace pension. 3% and 5% standard contributions towards your future retirement plans.
- Self-development budget. We want to support you in being the best version of yourself, so you receive a self-development budget.
- Self-development road map. This is where we sit down with you and help you plan towards setting your goals. We also have regular 1-1’s to map progress.
- Social events. (team lunches, evenings out, co-working days)
- Stationery budget. You are also given a budget to spend on the stationery of your choice.
- Career progression. We want to help you move forward in the company as your learning and expertise expands.
- Training progression included. We want to invest in you as you invest in us. There is a training progression plan and training included.
Salary Expectations and Getting Started
We like to be upfront and open with our salaries here at Cone. Competitive and fair compensation for your time and dedication is important to us and we review performance and salary regularly as your skills and expertise develop.
Salary for this role is between £15,000 and £17,500 per annum paid monthly. Please note that this salary range is dependant on existing experience and stage of studies.
The Interview process is a 2 step interview process which will start with a face to face interview.
We cannot wait to hear from you.
Please note that although this is a remote work from home position, you must be able to get to the interviews and if successful, you are required to travel to any Cone related meetups. This will not be reimbursed. As such, we will primarily be looking for the right candidate around the Southampton / Winchester area as training, meetups and tuition will all be delivered locally. As skills are developed, remote working from further afield would be available.
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.